The Colorado Roadmap to Work-Based Learning
Learning opportunities that occur in part or in whole at the workplace and provide the learner with hands-on, real world experience.
Purpose of this Roadmap
We aim to support the expansion and development of high-quality career exploration and pathway opportunities for Colorado students by connecting invested stakeholders to ideas, resources, and one another. The Roadmap is a vehicle for continued sharing and thought partnership that will be updated as we learn more about best practices, existing resources, and stories of impact happening across Colorado.
Vision for Colorado
Business, community, and education leaders across Colorado communicate and collaborate to provide high-quality work-based learning experiences so that all Coloradans are aware of, prepared for, and have access to the jobs, careers, and opportunity pathways they want.
Who Can Use The Roadmap?
We encourage business leaders to partner with schools/school districts in Colorado to create work-based learning opportunities.
Use this guide to:
- strengthen and expand your talent pipeline by increasing student awareness of career opportunities
- support educators to bring relevant problems and projects into the classroom and push students’ thinking
- learn about existing models and partnerships in your region
Use this guide to:
- help students develop the Essential Skills that will prepare them for success in any opportunity pathway
- allow students to explore passions and discover careers in Colorado and bring real-world projects into the classroom
- jump-start career paths for students while they are still in the K-12 system
- learn about existing coalitions and find contact information for work-based learning coordinators
- share additional resources/guides for developing a program or work-based learning projects
- learn about Colorado’s laws and legal guidelines for work-based learning
A Collaborative Effort
Through a series of many individual discussions, working groups, and secondary research, The Roadmap aspires to align on the language we use, gather great ideas and examples, and connect with the people and programs we can all learn from to implement high-quality work-based learning in our respective communities and regions across Colorado. This Roadmap has only scratched the surface and we hope you will continue to share and collaborate with us!
A special thanks to the TalentFOUND network for their time and expertise, and for their continued efforts to move this work forward.
We would like to thank the following organizations for the time, energy, feedback, and resources they contributed to make this effort possible, and for the work they do to support work-based learning every day:
Colorado Department of Labor and Employment
The Anschutz Foundation
Aravada Chamber of Commerce
Ball Corp & The Ball Foundation
Bank of America
Center for Rural Entrepreneurship
Chaffee County Economic Development
Children’s Hospital Colorado
Colorado BioScience Association
Colorado Education Initiative
EKS&H now part of Plante Moran
Foundation for Character Development
Fremont Economic Development Corp: TechSTART
Gates Family Foundation
Grand Junction Fire Department
Greeley Chamber of Commerce
Northern CO Manufacturing Sector Partnership
Parkview Medical Center
Project Lead the Way
Sedgwick County Economic Development
Ridgway Area Chamber of Commerce